Thursday 15 December 2011

Nails of the week-No two are alike...

Hi guysies, back with my personal favourite xmas look this year, snowflakes!!! Yes, this look was done by hand (mine, obvs) because my brother thought it was a stencil, I told him that all snowflakes are unique and therefore a stencil is useless!!! Yes, this took ages, but I am home from uni for the hols and I had the time to spare so I didn't really mind. (NB if you didn't have the time you could do this on the ring and thumb nails only.)


 Here is how I did it...
1. Paint nails with basecoat and two coats of colour. Leave to dry FULLY or the red will bleed into the white and it won't be crisp.
2. Using a cocktail stick (I have done this before with a very fine artists brush but the results are not as good) dipped in white nail polish start creating your snowflakes. There is no fool proof way of doing this you need to be very patient and a bit creative but it is helpful to have images of snowflakes (which are everywhere this time of year) for inspiration.
TIP:  By applying pressure to the cocktail stick, you can scrape away the white while it is still a bit wet, leaving the red underneath, which allows you to either tidy up lines or create very fine gaps of red between areas of white. Leave to dry FULLY.
3. Finish with a topcoat.
VARIATIONS: I have used red (which looks much darker in real life than in the photo) but pale and dark blues, purples, gold would look really nice too and also I have done this in the past with a glitter topcoat placed only on the actual snowflakes, which also have an added Xmassy effect.
DIFFICULTY: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment